Welcome to your local community website...
Salmonella-infected sprouts found in Rickmansworth prompt national recall
CONTAMINATED batches of organic sprouts were discovered by environmental health experts at a Rickmansworth supermarket, prompting a national recall.
A hygiene inspection last week by Three Rivers District Council at Waitrose, in Homestead Road, led to a positive laboratory result for salmonella on the vegetables, supplied by Aconbury Sprouts Ltd.
The laboratory examination, which was conducted by the Health Protection Agency, has led to a national recall of the supermarket's Organic Mixed Sprouts and Organic Rainbow Salad, both with use-by-dates of February 19.
Comercial standards manager at Three Rivers District Council, John Scott, said: "Waitrose (pictured left) itself scored very highly at its most recent environmental health inspection.
"The sprouts became contaminated during production at a plant in Herefordshire and were labelled as ready to eat.
"Last autumn salmonella on bean sprouts caused an outbreak affecting 90 people in England and Scotland, which is why we carried out a survey."
No other Aconbury products are known to be infected.
A spokesperson for the Food Standards Agency (FPA), which issued an alert about the vegetables, confirmed that no cases of food poisoning have been reported as yet.
A Waitrose spokesperson added: "Waitrose has the highest standards of customer safety and we took action as soon as we were told about these test results."
Did you buy any sprouts from the supermarket? Email Gazette reporter Siba Matti at firstname.lastname@example.org or post a comment below.
We'd like to hear from you. Send your stories, pics and videos